On February 25th the CFAH graduate student unit met for dinner at El Campesino in Wooster and bowling at Triway Lanes. During the event they had conversation with CFAH alumnus, Dr. Santosh Dhakal.
Dr. Dhakal earned his B.V.Sc.& A.H. in 2011 from Tribhuvan University, Nepal, and his M.S. (2015) and Ph.D. (2018) in Comparative and Veterinary Medicine (CVM) from The Ohio State University, USA. He is a Research Associate (Faculty) in the Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Dhakal has published over 60 peer-reviewed articles, delivered over 60 scientific oral/poster presentations, and served as the editorial board member and reviewer for dozens of journals. His research focuses on respiratory viruses, mucosal vaccine development, and use of animal models to understand the role of host factors on respiratory virus pathogenesis and vaccine responses.
His advice to graduate students:
• Make proper use of the opportunities that you get
• Be positive, be patient, and learn from the failures
• Communicate and build networks
• Know yourself, plan your work, set deadlines, and self-evaluate the progress
• Work in team and acknowledge your co-workers
• Take time off for something that you enjoy, beyond science